Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:04:09 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        Eric Thornton <gonesurfing@mail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DNS, sendmail problems

Greetings!

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Eric Thornton wrote:

> I'm new to DNS and sendmail and have been stumped on this one for a few days.
>
>  I have set up named to run a DNS for my fake internal LAN domain
> ".surfbbx". This LAN with internal IP's 192.168.0 connects to my ISP
> over a dialup gateway. I have set up named to deliver mail for my
How You can setup named (which is DNS server) to deliver mail (which
is task of mail server, obviously)???

> fake domian to an internal smtp mail server "barreled.surfbbx".
AFAIU, barreled located on LAN and is not gateway, right? Also is it
DNS and mail server for LAN?

> Everything works fine while my gateway is connected, however when
> the
> link is down, sendmail on my other machines times out when
> contacting
> the smtp server "barreled".  Named, running on "barreled.surfbbx"
Is they contacting barreled? Do You try to set on clients IP-address
of mail server instead of name.

> gives me no errors on startup with the gateway link up or down.
> Nslookup and dig both return appropriate information for all
> machines
And barreled also. Check if the domain and address of barrel is
correct for LAN. Mayb, name 'barrel' (if this is gateway) relate to
external interface?

> depite the link as well. Why won't sendmail communicate with my
> dialup link down? And more importantly, why does a non-forewarded
> DNS
> running for a FAKE domain need an internet link anyway? Common sense
It doesn't.

> seems that my local DNS should function without root servers
> availiable.  ANY info, explanations would be greatly appreciated. I
> would include all related files, but this email would be 4 pages
> long.
Just include Your LAN general configuration (barreled, gateway,
other), output of nslookup for barreled and example config of mail
clients. This would b enough, i think.

With respect,

Alexander V Zubchenko,		E-Mail: stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua
System Administrator,		WWW: http://www.hermes-comp.zp.ua/