Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:06:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Amir Y. Rosenblatt" <amir@neuron.net>
To:        branson@widomaker.com (Branson Matheson)
Cc:        amir@neuron.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More info on my tape drive problem

> >[root@prozac]/dev# ./MAKEDEV nrst0
> >nrst0 - no such device name
> >[root@prozac]/dev# ./MAKEDEV nrst0.0
> >nrst0.0 - no such device name
>
>  Read the source luke!!!

Actually, I did so shortly after sending off the note to the list.  I
then remade the devices but STILL couldn't access the tape drive.  dmesg
told me that when I had rebooted the machine this morning (becasue it had
hung last night, which was the start of all this) the Adaptec card had
for some reason not seen the tape drive.  That's never happened before.
So, I rebooted the machine and ran the baqckup, which worked fine.  I'm
still curious as to what happened to the device files.  I've seen this
happen a number of times on our HP9000 when people use the wrong flags
with tar but I've been using this same backup script without a problem
for weeks.

> >The same thing happened earlier in the week when I tried to MAKEDEV tty.
>
> Ok...# Terminal ports:
> #       tty*    general purpose serial ports
> #       cua*    dialout serial ports
> #       ttyA*   Specialix SI/XIO dialin ports ('*' = number of devices)
> #       cuaA*   Specialix SI/XIO dialout ports
> #       ttyD*   Digiboard - 16 dialin ports
> #       cuaD*   Digiboard - 16 dialout ports
>
> So which tty are you trying to make? ...

The dump report specified that /dev/tty was the one with the problem and
after replacing it with a copy from  a previous backup I no longer got
the error.  Again I wonder what could have caused it.

	-Amir