Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:49:04 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

"Jeffrey J. Mountin" wrote:

> At 10:36 AM 2/18/00 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >I will also say here and now that even I use the Standard installation
> >since I don't like having to remember all the canonical steps in setting
> >up a "stock" system and if anybody should remember them, it should be
> >me - I've probably installed FreeBSD at least 50,000 times. :-)
>
> Ah, but doesn't the now-standard-install make a partition for /var and /tmp?

No. The partitioner creates /, /usr, /var and swap if you say so. That's
the exact same partitioner used in any installation mode.

> I'd rather have a /, swap, and /usr.  Then, at need, add drives at mount
> points.  No need to get into they why, what, and where, but suffice to say
> is the main reason for using custom.  The ports and X are added after the

It's another indication that you misunderstand "novice" and "custom",
proving that they are misnamed.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If you consider our help impolite, you should see the manager."