Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:13:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@melb.werple.net.au>
To:        luke.pmr.com!bob@melb.werple.net.au (Bob Willcox)
Cc:        freefall.freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers@melb.werple.net.au
Subject:   Re: Help! I need info on pthreads.

> I have suddenly been informed that I must convert a significant
> piece of code to use pthreads.  Since FreeBSD will be one of my
> test vehicles I need to know if the libc_r library under 2.1-stable
> and/or current is working.

2.2-current only. It works for me. If it doesn't work for _you_, let
me know. Watch out for libc functions that aren't re-entrant, though.

> Also, I would greatly appreciate any pointers to documentation or
> books that describe how to use pthreads.

IEEE P1003.1c, D10 September 1994 DS5314 is the draft amendment which still
has not been published.

For online docs (equivalent to man files), try

www.mit.edu:8001/people/proven/pthreads.html (I think)

I haven't looked for books on how to use pthreads. I'm from an OSF/1
environment where we used DEC's poor examples as a start. Their bookreader
docs aren't too bad at describing the functions, but they are not good
at describing how to design a threaded application.

> Thanks a bunch,
> --
> Bob Willcox
> bob@luke.pmr.com
> Austin, TX

Regards,

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street