Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:54:43 +0000
From:      Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restarting a service

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:39:38PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-01-14 17:37:29, Ceri wrote:
> >
> > This is probably better :
> >
> > /bin/kill -HUP `/bin/cat /var/run/sshd.pid`
> >
> > I run this once an hour from cron (if I don't, sshd dumps core for some
> > reason).
>
> <shameless openssh plug>
>   That is a bug if it happens.  I'm sure the OpenSSH people will be
>   grateful if you manage to get a stack backtrace mailed to them.
> </shameless openssh plug>

Oh, yeah, I know that :)
Just can't seem to get one; now I think about it, it doesn't actually
dump core, it just stops accepting connections (or something similarly
funky, that workaround has been in place for months - I'll have another
play next time I can afford it).

Someone else managed to get it to dump core, but we seemed to be the
only two people having the problem (suspicions that it's related to SMP,
as it doesn't happen on any of my non-SMP machines, nor on any of his).

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on