Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:40:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kris Olander" <kriso@packetdesign.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/35267: after cvsup src-all for 4.5, /stand/sysinstall pkg_add refuses update by ftp

The following reply was made to PR misc/35267; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Kris Olander" <kriso@packetdesign.com>
To: <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>, <johnoh99@yahoo.com>
Cc: <bmah@packetdesign.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:41:54 -0700

 I just did a cvsup src-all on RELENG_4_6 and am now running (according to
 sysinstall options) 4.6.1-RELEASE-p10.
 When I try to add some additional packages using passive FTP from
 ftp.freebsd.org, I get an error stating something like "can't find packages
 for release 4.6.1-RELEASE-p10."  When I change the Release Name to "any" I
 get the following error message:

       xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       xUnable to get packages/INDEX file from selected media.            x
       x                                                                  x
       xThis may be because the packages collection is not available      x
       xon the distribution media you've chosen, most likely an FTP site  x
       xwithout the packages collection mirrored.  Please verify that     x
       xyour media, or your path to the media, is correct and try again.  x
       xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 I'm sure the packages are there because I can browse to
 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/

 Anyone know how to get around this?  I'd use pkg_add by hand and pull down
 the tgz files using the URL above, but this doesn't always get the necessary
 dependencies like sysinstall seems to do.  Is there a pkg_add flag to use to
 check for dependencies before trying the install?

 Kris Olander             Packet Design, LLC
 kriso@packetdesign.com   650-732-1881
 www.packetdesign.com     650-732-1890 (FAX)