Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:42:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Davis <dd002f@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Charles Henrich a Star?

[Snip lots o' stuff]

Is it not just this sort of bickering that has hurt the progress of the
BSD projects throughout? I realize that I have not been around long enough
to know the half of it (I am probably not even old enough to know the
half of it), but from all the history I have read, this seems to have been
one of the major problems in the BSD community.

It saddens me that even during the short time since I have gotten into
FreeBSD, I have been witness to this sort of thing. To be honest, it turns
me off to the BSD community. Granted, I have no intention of ditching it,
but nor do I have any interest in becoming more involved as it stands now.
I think others may experience similar feelings as they enter into the
community if this is the norm.

FreeBSD seems to have many volatile personalities involved; there is
nothing wrong with that in itself, but those who fit this bill should
probably step back and try to get some perspective on things before going
off on someone.

I do not mean to proselytize here, but it truly concerns me to see this
sort of thing. I doubt anything that goes on within the community is worth
arguing over (perhaps respectful debate, but no more). I merely want
FreeBSD to become a significantly larger force than it is currently, as I
consider it to be one of the best options available these days. I have a
feeling everyone else receiving this shares my desire. So let us exert our
energies in pursuit of this goal.

-Davis.

P.S. I am not normally like this; however more and more these days I see
people lose all sense of perspective on things (I am guilty of it myself),
and I cannot help but go off about it a little.