Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:52:28 -0700
From:      Parker Brown <phbrown@charter.net>
To:        BSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Display Managers and X11 4 (ala FreeBSD 4.6)

xdm, gdm, and display managers in general.

I've installed the X11 wrapper (?) so that I can start X11 with startx.
That's because if user calls xdm, it says "Only root wants to run xdm",
and when root runs it, the screen blinks on and off, you can't stop it
with <ctl> c, and you can't switch virtual consoles.  The only way to
use my system is to power down and wait awhile when /, which was "not
properly unmounted," gets the run through.

gdm (Gnome) is not so bad only in that it returns statements that imply
that I must find a list somewhere to edit  by some sort of rules.

I guess I don't understand *dm, which I *think* is somehow new with X11
4.

Got any hints?  I really want to try both KDE (which is working, but
I've got to figure out how to modify it to my tastes) and gnome.

--
Pb