Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:31:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        philiph@efn.org (Philip Hiles)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login.conf

Philip Hiles writes:
> There is an errata in the WC cdrom which states that a login.conf file may
> not transfer when installing.  The fix is to cp from the second disk
> /usr/src.  I'm unable to find such a file on either disk, or on an earlier
> release.  What must the file contain, and in what syntax?  I'll try
> creating it myself, unless that is prohibitively difficult for a neophyte.

Check out ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT.
It states:

o login as root produces "login_getclass: unknown class 'root'" on
  system console.

Fix: If you have the source distribution installed, simply

      cp /usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc

       otherwise, get it from the FreeBSD FTP site using this URL:
      ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/etc/login.conf
      instead.  Simply cd to /etc and then run fetch(1) with the
      provided URL.

Greg