Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 04:20:55 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI question...

For some fairly obvious reasons, this should have gone to
scsi@freebsd.org.

> My company is trying to support FreeBSD, and it's been left to me to figure
> out a couple things without having a FreeBSD box handy.

Eek.  That can be rough.

> 1) Our box is a multi-LUN SCSI device. Are multiple LUNs supported in FreeBSD
> by default? (A complication is that I don't know what version of FreeBSD our
> client runs. I've been told -current, but I doubt that. I'm guessing 2.0.x.
> I will find out for sure on Monday, but getting a jump over the weekend would
> be cool.)

Yes.

> 2) Can I access multiple LUNs through individual device files? If so, can I
> assume that the kernel will pop up messages saying what files have devices
> attached?

Presuming the "box" is something that is supported by the FreeBSD
drivers, sure.  You may have to add a quirk entry (and rebuild the
kernel) to get it to probe all the LUs.

> 3) Should I have the client do "/dev/MAKEDEV all" before rebooting with the
> device attached? That would do what I want under NetBSD, but I'm not quite
> sure about FreeBSD.

You don't need to do it *before* booting, and again it depends on the
release of FreeBSD and the nature of your device.  Generally it's best
to explicitly make the devices in question.

> I'll probably have a FreeBSD box at both work and home before too long, but
> at the moment I'm sort of groping in the dark to figure some of this out.
> I want to know as much as possible before leading my client through an install
> on Monday.

Yikes, talk about being dropped in the deep end.  8(