Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:05:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      hawky/Hawksmom <hawk2@netcom.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: telnet to freebsd box, says connected but never says "login:"

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Branson Matheson wrote:

> --------
>
> Chris Odom uttered with conviction:
> >
> >	I just got my FreeBSD 2.1 box on our local ethernet.  I can ping it.  W
> hen I telnet to it,
> >it says "Connected to x.x.x.x", but it never says "login:".
> >	I also get the same problem with FTP.  It connects, but it never gets p
> ast that point so that
> >I can login.
> >	Appears as if inetd is having trouble starting up the appropriate serve
> r for whatever port I
> >happen to connect to?
>
>  Sounds like the servers are not spawning.. so here are a couple of tests:
>
>  1. telnet to the 23 port... if you get the sendmail banner.... then it is
> 	able to spawn. You should be able to spawn new processes. If not
> 	you need to check and see how many are running and how many are
> 	configured in the kernel. You should also check and see how many
> 	pty's are configured in the kernel. And last but not least make sure
> 	that there is room in the root directory. The generic kernel config has
> 	only 16 ptys.
>
>  1.5	Make sure that inetd is running
>

>  2. login to the non-spawning machine at the console and then have someone
> 	try to telnet... watch the processes using top and see if telnetd
> 	gets spawned... It sounds like it is. If not... use 'netstat -a' and
> 	see if you get a line like :
>
> tcp        0      0  *.telnet               *.*                    LISTEN
>
>      If this line does not exist, check for blank lines in /etc/services...
> 	there should NOT be any. if you kick inetd ( 'kill -HUP' inetd's pid )
> 	and then look at the log files ( /var/log/messages ) any errors should
> 	be reported there.
>
>  3. Check and make sure that login is getting spawned... it sounds like it is
> 	not... you will want to check and make sure that login is working by
> 	running it from the command line. You should get the normal login prompt
> 	and have to enter a password.

I was having a similar problem, but when I left it for a while it woukd
get the logni prompt, the problem was that the remote computer was
looking for the inomming connection via nameserver, and there is no name
server in reach, so it trys and trys until it gives up which I think is
like 10 minutes.  I also had this problem when I had a dedicated
connection and our nameserver went down.  Though this was all in Linux..

just an idea..
Geoff