Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:31:32 +0200
From:      Martijn Pronk <martijn@smartie.xs4all.nl>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells1@highperformance.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: LDAP, Schema, and OIDs

Hi Jason,

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I am just learning about LDAP. I read about warnings not to create
> fictitious OIDs and not to modify default schema files.
>
> Why are OIDs globalized?
>
> Who cares what anyone else uses for OIDs in their databases?
>
> I have no care if FreeBSD uses a certain OID for an attribute.  I have no
> care if FreeBSD uses the same OID as I do for an attribute.  Just like I
> don't care if jcwells1@freebsd.org also exists.

I think you have not a complete understanding of what an OID is.
An OID describes what a certain value is, it tells the LDAP server and
client how to use a value. An oid looks in fact like an MIB in the SNMP
protocol.

If you look at the schema files delivered with OpenLDAP you'll see that
a certail ObjectClass (like InetOrgPerson) describes which fields are
allowed and the fields are also defined in these shema files, like a
field called cn which is defined as a string of text (name).

If you need to define a field that is not present in any of the other
(ready) available ObjectClasses then you can request an OID. (OIDs are
centrally registered, just like MIBs with SNMP).

> In fact, I think I might prefer to not use schema that are given by
> default. (names like "o" are just stupid, i don't want to save a byte, i
> want to be able to read the data) I would prefer to not have to
> contact IANA to give me a number.

You can define a new ObjectClass which renames this field, AFAIK.
I guess some people on this list can tell you lots more on LDAP.
(Terry Lambert?)

HTH,

Martijn