Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:06:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Barron <pat@transarc.ibm.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 2.2.6 to 4.0-RELEASE

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:

> For starters, they don't even recommend going straight to 3.4 in one
> step and I think that would be true even more in going to 4.0.
>
> I would probably try 2.2.8 > 3.2 > ? >4.0. The question is whether you
> can bypass 3.4 or not. The stretch from a.out to elf is the jump at
> 3.2.

The bummer for me is that I can't fit more than one release on my machine
at the same time, and 2.2.6 was the last release that supported the SCSI
interface (Future Domain 8xx/950) on my laptop docking station; as soon as
I advance beyond 2.2.6, I will lose my CD-ROM.  So, I've so far had to
install 2.2.6, blow away the /usr/src directory, and then (while running
2.2.6) mount the 4.0-RELEASE CD and manually unpack the new sources.

I suppose I could try building a 3.3 world with -DWANT_AOUT and trying to
run the 3.3 binaries with a 2.2.6 kernel (just to preserve access to the
CD-ROM), and then trying to install a 4.0 world on top of that ... but I
tried something similar when I went from 1.1 to 2.1, and that didn't
work out too well either, so I don't know why I'd expect it to be
different from 2.2.6 to 3.3 ...

Or, I could just go out and buy a supported PCMCIA SCSI card and just
install 4.0-RELEASE fresh from the CD, and save myself a world of pain ...
:-)

--Pat.