Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:56:16 +0800
From:      Michael Lee <kclee@leadtek.com.tw>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Server inside NAT]Is it possible

這是一封 MIME 格式的多部份郵件。
--------------CA5EDE5C9F9EEF1345BEA186

Hi Everyone,

I know this could be a very strange question. I set up
a server in our local net, using FreeBSD 2.2.8-Release.
Our local net is protected by a commercial NAT box, which
I think it runs under Windows NT.

The strange ( and might be weird ) problem is that I can
connect to my server box via the external ISP dial up
account ( It works fine for telnet, http, ftp, and pop3 )
, however it is impossible to connect to this machine when
I tried to connect it from other Win98 box inside our local
net.

We have a licensed Class C subnet, which goes from

203.79.220.xxx ( xxx=1~255 )
( when I telnet to other machine outside, I get my address
as 203.79.220.aaa )
the local network address is
203.75.249.xxx ( xxx=1~255 )

which corresponds to the external viewable address one
by one in the following form:

203.75.249.aaa --> 203.79.220.aaa
(Internal )    ( External )

The sysadm of our company does not set for the protection
of the address from 251~254 ( 254 is our default router).
that means you can connect to these machine from the outside
203.75.249.251~254
The connection from the outside for the following addrs. is
not allowed. ( To protect our database server running
under SCO UNIX. )

203.75.249.2 ~ 250

203.75.249.1 runs on WinNT and is our ftp, http, dns server.
It is strange that I can connect it under our local net and
from the outside.

Does FreeBSD have any limitation for this kind of arrangements?
Why the WinNT server works fine but the FreeBSD server cannot work?
How can I modify my setting or suggest the necessary modifications
to our sysadm?

Thank you very much!

Michael Lee

--------------CA5EDE5C9F9EEF1345BEA186

begin:vcard
n:Lee;Michael
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Leadtek Research Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:kclee@leadtek.com.tw
title:Sales
tel;fax:+886-2-22484103
tel;home:+886-935-014298
tel;work:+886-2-22484101 ext. 140
note:Graphics, Multimedia, and Communication
adr;quoted-printable:;;5F,4,Alley11,Lane327,Sec.2,ChungShan Rd.,=0D=0AChung Ho,;Taipei Hsien;;235;Taiwan,R.O.C
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Michael Lee
end:vcard