Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 23:36:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      softweyr@xmission.com
To:        Frank Terhaar-Yonkers <fty@tylan.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   which P133 laptop?  Any experience/recomendations?

Frank Terhaar-Yonkers writes:
 > Which of you folks are running FreeBSD on a P133 laptop?  I've been
 > looking at the Dell LMP133ST:  133Mhz/24MB/PCI/12"SVGA.  Has anyone
 > gotten this machine to work, or something similar?
 >
 > I have both -current and -stable running at home, so some hackery
 > (if necessary) is no problem.
 >
 > Oh, and I'll need a PCMCIA ethernet card, advice here would be
 > appreciated as well.

At work, we have two Gateway Solo S5s, both with P-120 processors and
the 11.4" 800x600 LCD displays.  One has 40 Mb of memory; both have
multiple 1.05 Gb removable disk drives, and swappable floppy/CD-ROM
drives.

Both run well with FreeBSD 2.2, although installing on both was a
pain.  It generally takes some hacking to get XF86 installed on a
laptop display, and some of the devices are slightly screwy.  Also,
you can't install off the CD-ROM, since you can have either the floppy
or the CD-ROM installed at any given time.

We have a 3Com 3c589 PCcard ethernet and a Megahertz 28.8 PCcard modem
in each.  We also have a new dual RS-422 PCcard for each; we do a lot
of serial protocol work.  I haven't had time to hack with this card
yet, but I'm looking forward to it later this year.

We use these machines to run our GNU-based cross-development
environment for M68000 targets when our Software Design Engineers have
to go "to the field."  It works quite well; the P120s are nearly as
fast as the HP 9000/712 model 100 workstations we use ordinarily.  We
use the PCcard modems, PPP, and remote CVS (using CVS 1.8.1) for
remote access to our source code repository as well.  I have a similar
setup at home, so I can work from here when I need to concetrate and
get something done without interruption, or getting called into a
meeting.  ;^)

--
   Wes Peters	|
    Softweyr 	|   Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?