Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:50:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, gpalmer@FreeBSD.org, dg@Root.COM, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: possible vm kernel death

> > FWIW, it's back to 8M from 16 on memory borrowed from another machine
> > and so far is tooling along OK.  I'm encouraged enough to go home
> > and let it be (with a kernel 3mo out of sync with userland, I can't
> > talk to it from home 8).
> >
> > I don't know whether the lower memory configuration is affecting things
> > or not, but you could go back to 8M and try 8) 8) 8)
>
> Hmm, I see much better results on my notebook if I downgrade it
> to 4M (the only option :) ), but the problem is not totally
> gone however... (And the poor notebook pages it self to death).
>
> But it might be usefull info though, John are you listening ??

I am listening, but simply have had no luck reproducing ANY problems
in current recently.  I have downgraded my system to small memory
configs, etc...  The last set of bugs that I have fixed were found
when I ran in 6MBytes of mem.  Darn'it the pmap changes are NECESSARY,
but the problems are hard to find... :-(.

I run normally with 6MB/8MB/40MB, and have absolutely NO crashes.  Some laptops
are 486's, and I wonder if somehow we/I have broken compat with those?

John