Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 18:32:59 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   CONFIGURE_ARGS does not include default args?

I'm trying to fix some outdated port, and beka aware that it also seems
to have an invalid pkg_plist, so I tried to install it into
/var/tmp/xxx to check the existing plist.

It turns out that the port seems to disregard PREFIX. If I change

   CONFIGURE_ARGS= --quiet --with-logdir=/var/log
   CONFIGURE_ARGS= --quiet --with-logdir=/var/log --prefix=${PREFIX}

then I get the proper PREFIX. The Porters Handbook has this to say:

> If you want to give some extra arguments to configure (the default
> argument list --prefix=${PREFIX} for GNU configure and empty for
> non-GNU configure), set those extra arguments in CONFIGURE_ARGS.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
makefile-build.html

This could be understood to mean that CONFIGURE_ARGS are appended to
the default list, but it seems the default list gets replaced with what
you specify in CONFIGURE_ARGS.

A quick survey of other Makefiles shows:
2658 have a CONFIGURE_ARGS entry
1105 set CONFIGURE_ARGS=
1518 add to CONFIGURE_ARGS (+=)
   98 set or add --prefix= to CONFIGURE_ARGS

In light of this, should I change the Makefile from
   CONFIGURE_ARGS= --quiet --with-logdir=/var/log
   CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --quiet --with-logdir=/var/log
or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Stefan

--