Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:37:11 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: startx resets the modem

> I have a modem [isa [PnP, but jumpers are set [PnP is off]],
> com4/cuaa3], I dial out to isp, everything is working great [this is
> done as root].  When I login with a regular user account, and then
> type 'startx', this resets my modem [resets= makes it hang up], so
> basically I have to dial back out after starting X....

Sounds like hardware.  Does your serial port share an interrupt with
your display hardware or mouse?  Do any other (suspicous) bits of
hardware share interrupts?  Does X think you have a serial mouse?
Are there any screwball interrupt assignments in your CMOS setup?
Does your computer really have four serial ports?  :)

Lucas