Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:50:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        james@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Jim Lowe)
Cc:        fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk, grog@lemis.de, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vm fixes NG

> > > On a related note, is there any way to stop X grabbing the Ctl-Alt
> > > sequence and drop into DDB?
> >
> > We discussed this a while back while talking about ddb.  The problem
> > is that it's almost impossible to find a way to set the display card
> > back to text mode.

> would sure be nice to be able to drop into the debugger when running X
> w/o having to switch to another virtual console first.

Syscons intercepts the key sequence and sends a message to the X server
saying "restore the console to the default mode".  Then the X server
runs and restores the console.  Then the X server sends a message to
syscons saying "OK, I've restored the console".  Then syscons swaps
screen memory with virtual screen memory on another virtual console.

Obviously, if you have invoked ddb as a result of a panic, the X server
isn't going to be responding to any "restore the console to the default
mode" requests, since it isn't running on a panic'ed system.

The only fix would be for *all* graphic modes to be settable *only*
through the console driver, so that the console driver can unset
them without having to ask a user space program to do it for it.

This issue is worse for DOS emulation (if we ever really get serious
about that), since DOS programs aren't expecting "save yourself and
restore the console to the default mode" messages, and couldn't
process them if you sent them.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---