Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:36:18 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help! Cannot boot after freebsd-update update to 9.1-p5

Help! I just used freebsd-update to upgrade a system to FreeBSD
9.1-RELEASE-p5 to close the latest security holes. I then rebuilt
my custom kernel and tried to reboot. I'm now getting the message

Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

at boot time.

The strange thing is that when I boot the system from a FreeBSD 9.1
(AMD64) USB key, I can mount and read the file system on the hard
drive that will not boot. There doesn't seem to be any problem with
it. I've tried copying /boot/loader over from the USB key; still
can't boot. Tried moving the GENERIC kernel over from the USB key
into /boot/kernel, just in case there was a problem with my custom
one; still can't boot. Not sure what to try next. Any ideas would
be much appreciated!

--Brett Glass