Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 10:43:26 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A few NITS about SCSI Tapes

>As David Dawes wrote:
>> While talking about mt, how difficult would it be to have 'mt status'
>> behaviour similar to SunOS 4.x (in particular having it show the current
>> file number)?
>
>No idea on this.  Can you please send me the output of this command?

Here is a typical output:

Exabyte EXB-8200 8mm tape drive:
   sense key(0x0)= no sense   residual= 0   retries= 0
   file no= 3   block no= 0

It never puts anything other than '0' for residual and retries, but in
much older versions of SunOS (4.0.x, I think) it did.  What I'd like is
to be able to do is use something like this to confirm which file mark
the tape is at.

David