Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:22:04 +0100
From:      lex@blacktrap.net
To:        amir@imedia.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: imap installation

At Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:37:05 -0800,
Amir Hejazi <amir@imedia.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have specific questions on installing "imap" on a FreeBSD 3.4.
> 1) In which directory do I put impad ? is /usr/local/sbin a good one ?

Do yourself a favor and install the port (cd /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw
&& make install). It will take care of placing imapd in the
appropriate place (well, what's thought appropriate by the FreeBSD
port maintainer, at least ;-)
See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports-using.html for more detailed
information about ports.

There are ports for other imap server than imap-uw of course, it is
just the most classical one.

> 2) What is the entry for imap in /etc/services looks like ? give me an
> example, please.

There is already one. If not, check your installation.

> 3) What is the entry in /etc/inetd.conf will look like ? please example .

In the default inetd.conf that comes with FreeBSD there is a sample
entry for imap, that is commented. Follow the instruction there, if
you are using imap-uw it is as simple as uncommenting it.

--
Chive