Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:05:45 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: periodic and 310.accounting

> > Alternatively, you could send patches that add a new variable to
> > control the number of log files kept :-)  I'll happily commit them.
>
>   Would you accept an alternative 310.accounting that uses newsyslog?
> Seems like a standard utility to rotate all files would be nice.  This
> would require a newsyslog.conf type file though - where would I put it?

I think it'd be nice if newsyslog could be told to ``just rotate this
file with this number of backups with{,out} compression''.  It can be
given a file name, but still needs the config file to know when to
rotate....

There are a few periodic scripts that could benefit from this sort of
thing, but I don't think it's right to have lots of one-line
newsyslog config files lying around or even to write them on the fly
and then remove them after running pccardd....

I would have thought the best option is to either do the rotation in
a loop or to add the functionality to newsyslog.conf....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>