Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 10:24:57 -0800
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Desktop

rick hamell wrote:

> > Every time I install a package (a program or set of programs) it
> > automatically updates the configuration files for all currently
> > installed window managers.  And if a particular user does not
> > explicitly override the system wide config files for a particular
> > window manager -- he/she automatically sees the new things on
> > his/her menu.  So I never have to edit any .<YOUR WIN MANAGER>rc files.
>
>         We (as in the FreeBSD community) really need some enterprising
> newbie to do stuff like this. FreeBSD is a great product, the install
> goes pretty smoothly. But, that is only if you have the approved
> hardware, and everything is setup right. My personal goal is to get to
> the point that I can help do stuff like this. The Core Team members do a
> great job, but they need to keep their attention on the product itself,
> upgrading drivers, adding functionality to the system, etc. Not doing
> what really amounts to scuttle work. :(
>         Perhaps someone who is up on this type of stuff can write
> something up that explains how to customize the system with a focus on
> newbies. Adding it on Sue's newbie page would be excellent and appropriate.
>
>                                         Rick

I've thought about writing a diary about my FreeBSD system and how I set it
up.  Although, it's kind of hard to document every little thing I do I guess.

I guess the first thing one should do when installing a FreeBSD system is know
what packages to add.  I remember when I first installed unix on my pc I
didn't know what all these software packages and the discriptions weren't good
enough for me at that time.  Maybe there should be a recommended software
guide for newbies somewhere.  Maybe in two versions, one for terminal based
applications and one for X based applications.  And screen shots of these
recommended applications would be a good thing.  So people could check it out
on a  web site and see if it really is what they want to install.

After the the initial software is loaded and stuff.  I think setting up the
shell is the next thing to do.   I prefer the bash shell.  Setting up the
prompt and path and alternative pagers and stuff like that is  important for a
new user.   After all that is done,  using XF86Config to setup the X server
stuff would be important.  This would all be the initial customization and
setup stuff.

After the initial stuff is done, then the more advanced stuff could be
done....like settingup a cached DNS for a standalone system (which is easy to
do), probably configuring sendmail as well (although that's always been a
mystery to me), and any other more advanced stuff.  Rebuilding the Kernel
perhaps??

Anyways, this all has to deal with customizing the system.  Hell, I haven't
even touched on setting up a window manager and the .xinirc.  *sigh*  Too much
work!!  Poor newbies (the ones that never even seen a unix prompt).  It must
really suck to be them.

Joseph Garcia
gummibear@mediaone.net
Downey, CA