Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:22:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Tiziano Paoletti <paoletti@cosmos.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a problem...can you help me?

On 17-Dec-98 Tiziano Paoletti wrote:
> Hi! I have a problem installing the AWE driver. I have a SoundBlaster
> AWE32 and it works very well with FreeBSD (2.2.7): audio CD, files
> *.WAV, files *.MID (with internal OPL)...the problem is that the card
> doesn't use the sounds on its ROM.
> This is a part of my KERNEL:
>
> controller      pnp0
> controller    snd0
> device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
> device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
> device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
> device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
> device awe0     at isa? port 0x620
> device mpu0     at isa? port 0x330 irq 8 drq 0 conflicts
> device uart0 at isa? port 0x330 irq 9 vector "m6850intr"
>
> but during the boot, FreeBSD says: AWE not found, AWE not detected.

The awe0 device requires not one, but *three* ports to be initialized for
it to function.  During your boot-time config, you need to do:

pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20

(assuming your AWE32 is the first PnP device in your system).

This has tripped up many people trying to configure this device, myself
included.  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>

HOW YOU CAN TELL THAT IT'S GOING TO BE A ROTTEN DAY:
        #15 Your pet rock snaps at you.