Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 22:23:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      dominic_marks@btinternet.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/27668: PCM Audio modules lock out mixer application

>Number:         27668
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       PCM Audio modules lock out mixer application
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD
System: FreeBSD host213-123-128-27.btopenworld.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #28: Tue May 15 21:31:40 BST 2001 dominic@host213-123-131-112.btopenworld.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/APOLLO i386

	When using the PCM audio modules it appears that the mixer
	application is . I've observed this problem
	with my card: (`$ dmesg | grep pcm`)

	Preloaded elf module "snd_pcm.ko" at 0xc02ac3c0.
	pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1373-A> port 0x1400-0x143f irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0

	When attempting to modify sound card properties such as the
	volume using the mixer application it fails to apply the changes
	exiting with this output: (`$ mixer -f /dev/dsp vol 100:100`):

	mixer: /dev/dsp: Device busy

	[This is my first PR, I hope I've followed the protocols correctly.]

>How-To-Repeat:
	adding the devices into the kernel configuration file will
	create a situation where the audio works correctly, however
	changing of sound card properties is not possible after the
	first usage of the device for audio purposes.

>Fix:
	The problem can be worked around in several ways. Either
	enter 'device	pcm' in the kernel in the standard way.
	Alternatively you can change the audio properites with
	the modules and mixer if the change in volume occurs
	immediately before any other usage of the audio devices
	is made. Such a task could be performed in a boot script
	however this is a highly undesireable method.