From:      "Dan Lazin" <dan@alphamale.ab.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail no longer relaying, now giving me 'Host unknown' error

I've forced sendmail to queue the mail. I then sent it one message to my
user account (which, as usual, still got to me after the queue-process) and
another to my geocities account via the 'booty' alias. I then ran sendmail
with flags -q -v -t as suggested. The output is below. Any ideas why the
name server is returning this response? It happens with any alias on the
server that references to an external address. My suspicion is that sendmail
is querying the local named, which shouldn't be running (I'm using my
upstream DNS instead, which insists that all of these domains exist), and is
likely broken if it is. How do I check that?

I've also just sent a message straight to bootymasta@geocities.com from pine
(via telnet off the problem machine), and it also returned a message saying
that mail2b.geo.yahoo.com could not be found. What is sendmail doing?

esther# /usr/sbin/sendmail -q -v -t
Running LAA01785 (sequence 1 of 2)
<booty@hardcore.ab.ca>... aliased to bootymasta@geocities.com
bootymasta@geocities.com... Connecting to mail.geocities.com. via esmtp...