Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:50:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getty modem control

[Adam]
> > 1. Would anyone be terribly upset if I added modem string grabbing support
> > to getty? This would be useful for logging caller ID and connect speed.

In case it wasn't clear, this would be a fleshing out of :ac=...:
and only affects the answer chat script.

[Jörg]
> Yep, i'm very reluctant to such things in the regular getty.  The
> reason for this reluctance is that you gotta abuse the inbound port.
> Normally, the inbound port is supposed to block inside open(2) until
> carrier arrives.  I understand that your intended changes would break
> this (as well as David Nugent's changes broke this, see below).

Actually, I much prefer the blocking approach for most purposes, and am
considering a reshuffle of the code to allow :ac=...: in that case also,
requiring a new capability to describe whether to block on open or wait
in select. How about :nb: for non-blocking, and default to blocking?

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>