Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:38:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Pedro J. Lobo" <pjlobo@euitt.upm.es>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>, Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 802.1Q VLANs

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

>Does the kernel patch work with any other adapters?  I'm not sure I see
>the need to patch if_fxp.

if_fxp does have to be patched. You have to tell the card not to drop
frames with errors (oversized frames among them) or you won't receive
packets with sizes from 1497 to 1500 bytes (remember that 802.1Q adds 4
bytes to each frame). Then you have to drop by hand undersized frames and
frames with crc errors.

I know (from the Intel documentation) that the 82559 controller (and maybe
82558 too, don't remember right now) adds a bit of vlan support and you
can tell it not to drop oversized frames. However I haven't any
programming info for it, so I don't know how it can be done.

Cheers,

	Pedro.

Pedro José Lobo Perea                   Tel:    +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo                       Fax:    +34 91 331 92 29
E.U.I.T. Telecomunicación               e-mail: pjlobo@euitt.upm.es
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Ctra. de Valencia, Km. 7                E-28031 Madrid - España / Spain