Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 1996 10:30:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Berger <peterb@telerama.lm.com>
To:        Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: source-routing traceroute

I humbly suggest thta someone check out:

ftp://anon.psc.edu/pub/net_tools/traceroute.tar

This is an updated version written by Jmshid Mahdavi of the Pittsburgh
Supercomputing Center.    Here's the README:

Fri Oct 28 13:40:27 EDT 1994

Updates to traceroute in this release:

This release of traceroute is an updated version of Van Jacobson's
1988 release of the tool.  It includes all of the original features,
plus a number of things locally added at the PSC, and several
additions suggested by people on the NANOG list:

(Note:  none of this is in the included man page; writing nroff has
never been my can of worms...)

LSRR:  (-g)  This option has been around for a while, and has started
to work its way into vendor versions of traceroute.  It allows you to
add additional points in the path, giving the ability to (for example)
traceroute to somewhere and back (so you can see the return path).  It
is particularly useful in debugging split-routing type problems.  Note
that you can put as many -g options in a traceroute as you want, up to
the limit of the IP options space in the header.

MTU Discovery:  (-M)  This option runs the algorithm in RFC1191 over
the path in question.  Every packet is send out with the Don't
Fragment bit set, and where necessary the packet size is reduced as
per RFC1191.

Statistics Collection:  (-Q)  This option reports the statistics on
delay, (min, max, avg, and std. dev) instead of reporting individual
transfer times.  It should be used with -q to send lots of packets to
each hop to get good statistics.

Microsecond Timers:  (-u)  This option reports times to microsecond
accuracy (the default is millisecond accuracy).

A warning about timers: Many machines have clocks with relatively
large granularities.  I made no effort to do any better than what the
standard system clock does.  Thus, in many cases, printing extra
digits is of little use.  Also, some systems seem to do things like
interrupt for screen writes, (which inconveniently can occur in the
middle of timing a packet), causing further skew.  Still, on a quiet
system, this may provide useful additional information.

Loss Detection:  (-a)  Goes onto the next TTL if 10 consecutive
packets are dropped.  Control C (or whatever your interrupt character
is) will do the same thing if you want to get on to the next hop.

Owner Reporting:  (-O)  Matt wanted to know an email address for every
hop, so I added the code to do it.  The addresses are taken from DNS
SOA records, and usually have an address like
"hostmaster@foo.bar.baz".  If you are using this for trouble
reporting, it might be wise to look for an address like "noc" or
"trouble" first, but at least this give a valid mail host and an
address guaranteed to work if nothing else does.

AS Path Lookup:  (-A)  This is what prtraceroute does.  It isn't
implemented yet, though...  I'd like to put it in on the next
go-round.

Other changes:

I changed the way packet sizes get allocated.  If you specify a number
of bytes on the command line, that is how big the entire packet will
be, not just the data.  This is due to problems with the -g option
(which changes the header length) and the -M option, which requires
packets to really be the size you say they are (and not 40 bytes
bigger).  If the packet size you ask for is too small, traceroute will
silently make it the minimum size.

The -w option will now default to 3 seconds and allow you to specify
wait times of < 1 second (i.e. .5 sec).  This is for those who get
sick of waiting for the *'s to show up...

All of the changes have been tested to some degree under Ultrix and
IRIX.  I hope that most of the bugs are out of them, but if there are
bugs on other OS's I'll update the release accordingly.  Happy
tracing!

--Jamshid

On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, Pierre Beyssac wrote:

> Pierre Beyssac writes:
> [ -g (source-routing) option added to traceroute ]
> > If anyone is interested I'm going to adapt the
> > changes to the "official" FreeBSD traceroute (the one I've been debugging
> > was an earlier BSD version which is supposed to work on SunOS 4).
>
> Sorry to follow-up on my own message, but I happened to have a look
> at NetBSD and their traceroute has -g and compiles out of the box on
> FreeBSD. It's the 4.4 traceroute just like FreeBSD, only adapted.
>
> So unless there are problems taking that from NetBSD, it would really
> be a good thing to integrate that.
> --
> Pierre Beyssac	    pb@fasterix.frmug.fr.net pb@fasterix.freenix.fr
> {Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher

"The law locks up both man and woman/Who steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater felon loose/Who steals the common from the goose." -anon
      Peter Berger - peterb@telerama.lm.com - http://www.lm.com/~peterb