Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:51:12 -0600
From:      Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What does "Audit record was not committed" during login imply?

I've installed a BSD 7.0 system and I am getting the error "login: Audit re=
cord was not committed" when I try to login. What would cause this? I am us=
ing a custom process to do the BSD install onto USB boot disks, but we've b=
een using it for months and I've never seen this error when we've booted a =
system using one of the boot sticks. I did a web search and the only hits I=
 got were source code references to this error; it's printed by login.c, wh=
ich makes sense. If I enter an invalid password I get the message "login: A=
udit Error: au_close() was not committed", so it's clearly processing my in=
put but something else is causing the processing of the data to fail.

Another error is printed on the console just before the login prompt: "pid =
94: (fsck_ufs), uid 0: exited on signal 8", along with a duplicate of this =
error but with pid 95. I don't know if this has anything to do with the sub=
sequent login error, but I bet it does. I looked up signal 8 and it appears=
 to be related to a floating point exception, which doesn't really make sen=
se. It implies though that perhaps the file system isn't clean, but I've ch=
ecked on another system and the USB file system is clean.

So I'm stumped. Does anyone know what's going on here?