Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:37:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A missing hard drive + vinum questions

On Monday, 15 October 2001 at  7:16:23 -0700, Jim Flournoy wrote:
> Hello.  I have 2 4.5G scsi hard drives that I just
> installed FreeBSD 4.3 on.  Actually I assume its only
> installed on 1, cause when I type df -m it only shows
> me one of the hard drives.

df only shows mounted file systems, whether or not they're on disk.

> Anyway, can anyone else think of another test to see if the system
> recognized the other drive?

1.  Look in dmesg.  If you've lost the beginning, the dmesg as of boot
    time is in /var/run/dmesg.boot.
2.  For SCSI disks only, use 'camcontrol devlist'.

> Also, I'd like to set up mirroring with vinum; because there are
> only 2 hard disks, can anyone tell what state the mirrored disk
> should be in?  (aka part of the filesystem or not)

You don't mirror disks, you mirror volumes.  Volumes are made of
plexes; you mirror them by having more than one plex in a volume.
Plexes are made of subdisks.  Subdisks are parts of drives.  Drives
are disk partitions of type vinum.  Disk partitions are parts of disk
slices.  Disk slices are parts of disks.

> This is the first time that I've set up vinum, so I'm not quite sure
> where I should be coming from..  I appreciate any suggestions!

Have you read the documentation?

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.