Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 23:05:24 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help correcting corrupted disklabel

As Randall Hopper wrote:

> Same deal when using wd1s3 instead.

(Since they are probably the same.)

> This is a sliced disk with FreeBSD on slices 3 and 4 (wd1a and wd1s3e).

wd1s3e is slice 3.  Are you sure wd1a is another slice?  I doubt, but
you didn't show us the fdisk output.

> I know the partition offsets, so what's the safest way to go about diagnosing
> and repairing the damage?

Write an entry for /etc/disktab, and then

	disklabel -Brw wd1s3 <name of entry>

> Does this indicate my bootblock is hosed?  Or disklabel?

The disklabel is embedded in the (BSD) bootblocks.  The above command
will rewrite them.  Let's hope you didn't damage the filesystem
structure itself, in this case, you should get away with the above.

I'm not sure whether `disklabel auto' will work for sliced disks, if
so, you can alternatively do:

	disklabel -Brw wd1s3 auto
	disklabel -e wd1s3        # edit partition info

--
cheers, J"org