Date:      09 Jan 2002 13:33:31 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Use of C++ with kernel and in embedded software.

What are disadvantages of writing kernel modules or device drivers
in C++?  (I'm not sure it's practical or even possible without patching
the kernel.)  Are there such modules? (My quick search didn't find any.)

In embedded software development, what fraction of current development
(not legacy code) is done with each of C and C++.  I fear it's something
like 85%/10%, but I really have nothing to base my guess on.  Maybe you
don't either, but I suppose that several hunches are better than one.

(I need to retrain myself in C or C++, for eventual use in embedded
software development outside the M$ world.  I hate to resort to crude C
after my long experience with equally-crude FORTRAN and with elegant Ada
and so would prefer to concentrate on the compromise of hacked-up C++,
but I'm wondering if there's too little C++ work in embedded software
development.  Is almost all C++ work in high-level stuff, "designed for
Windows(TM)", etc?)