Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 17:50:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        witr@rwwa.com (Robert Withrow)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

> > I don't know about "inside looking out"... I have implemented a streams
> > stack modification to Mentat Streams on VMS using multiple mapping of
> > address ranges (code for VMS done by another Novell engineer when DEC
> > argued that it wasn't possible because of resource tracking issues)
> > and saved a total of 3 copies -- grand total, one less than the non
> > streams implementation.
>
> I didn't know about that.  When did that happen, and how did you
> do it and still track resources?

It happened right after Drew Spencer left the "Pathworks for VMS
(NetWare)" product that Dan, me, Drew, and you and Dave (and some
non-contractor DEC people) all worked on.

We got another guy (Ed -- you leave DEC before Ed?) who did the
coding up of the mapping code.  He cheated and used a symbiont
to get around the tracking problems (I think) after I first
proposed the idea to DEC and got it rejected out of hand as "not
possible with VMS" (I can't remember who the management at DEC
was at the time).

Basically, it provided a process context that was only there for a
resource track cleanup mechanism that got killed when the server
went away.

I hit on the idea while making substantial modifications to the
Streams environment (it was incomplete) and the MTS environment
(DEC gave us the Bliss sources) which didn't support an IPC
synchronization mechanism or timer calls as thread context switch
events.  It was my alternative to butting up file system data
pages to IPX headers at the end of the page so that file system
pages could be used directly instead of copying them.

Was that really 4 or 5 years ago?!?!  My memory is so fuzzed on
that (my first project at Novell) that it's unbelievable.  When
did VMS get a file system cache?  That was DEC's generalization
of Dan Grice's code after we added our own cache to get the
speed up to something resembling Native NetWare, so it was before
they released their own FS cache, whenever that was.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.