Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:11:31 +0200
From:      Thomas Runge <runge@egd.igd.fhg.de>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Aladdin V boards trouble

Hi there.

I've got a new Aladdin V based board. It has onboard
PCI IDE supporting PIO modes up to mode 5, Ultra DMA/33 and
100 MHz CPU bus frequency (you may find a complete
description at http://www.ali.com.tw/av.htm).

I built a kernel supporting multi sector and 32 bit transfers
including LBA support. This one works, but not fine. It
freezes my box on heavy disk usage very often.

I switched on some kernel options for debug messages and
getting this on failure: interrupt timeout:
status 50<rdy, seekdone> error 1 <no_dam> wdtimeout()
DMA status 4.

I find this message while booting: "ide_pci: generic_dma_init
01f0:1: warning, IDE controller timing not set" and traced
it down to ide_pci.c. There I found, that my board isnt
explicitly supported, just some intel based ones. And the
generic DMA routines used by the kernel seem to have problems...

So, my question is, is there is a patch or work in progress
to support this board? Or is it possible to disable DMA
easily as long as there is no special driver for it?
Maybe this should be a kernel option?

(And no, I wont disable these features in BIOS, as there
is another OS an my disk that I need and which supports
it ;-> )

--
Tom