Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 2014 18:35:24 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        PaX Team <pageexec@freemail.hu>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Shawn Webb <lattera@gmail.com>, Oliver Pinter <oliver.pntr@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] ASLR Whitepaper and Candidate Final Patch

(Assuming @FreeBSD addresses are subscribed to arch, or check the =
archives)

FWIW,

The issues I pointed out are still standing:

- It is yet undetermined what the performance effect will be, and it is =
not clear (but seems likely from past measurements) if there will be a =
performance hit even when ASLR is off.
-Apparently there are applications that will segfault (?).

I wouldn=92t object to see it in the tree though: it has obviously been =
the result of a lot of work and it is configurable and well integrated. =
It will certainly have to be some time in the tree and undergo extensive =
testing before turning it on by default though so it sounds reasonable =
to bring it in but leave it initially inactive.

Pedro.=