Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 18:55:21 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Dima Ruban <dima@best.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM on FreeBSD (was Would this make FreeBSD more secure?)

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>         Personally, I kinda like the fact that FreeBSD has finally joined
> *both* Solaris and Linux in supporting PAM.  I realize that for most out
> there, its a Linux vs FreeBSD sort of thing, but, if I remember my
> research properly, PAM was a Sun-ism first, that Linux flew with, and just
> by finally bringing it in, we open ourselves up to a massive amount of new
> authentication mechanism...
>
>         Of key interest to me is NDS/Radiusd authentication, as it is what
> we use on Campus/work...now I can take what i've done with Solaris for
> authentication and bring my FreeBSD machines up to speed with it :)

Did you happen to read my Daemon's Advocate article about this topic?
I received news of the FreeBSD PAM work shortly after it was published,
in the inaugural issue of Daemon News.  If not, please see

	http://www.daemonnews.org/199809/daemonadvoc.html

I will, of course, be writing an update on this topic soon, so the BSD
community will be up-to-date.  Once I've installed and configured this
and given it a thorough wringing out, which may not happen until after
the first of the year.

>         Thanks loads John...work *long* overdue...

Indeed, my thanks as well, John.