Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:37:23 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, nwestfal@directvinternet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> > Mailing lists on equipment *I* own exist to serve *me*.
> >
> > If *I* am a group, then mailing lists on equipment the group
> > owns exist to serve *the group*.
>
> So a mailing list will bring you tea and crumpets if you but ring a
> bell?

Refute the statement or don't refute the statement.

> >> But by responding, you gave the troll a small percentage of your time,
> >> and you implicitly acknolwedge the troll's existance, granting that
> >> troll beingness for the duration of your response. This is not
> >> "ignoring the troll". ;)
> >
> > Nevertheless, it served me to do it.
>
> And still you give the troll power.

Clearly, you're not a chess player.

> >> Regardless, you still gave some acknowledgement of existence. This
> >> only incentivizes the troll further.
>
> > Nevertheless, it served me to do it.
>
> And still you give the troll power.

Clearly, you're not a chess player.

> >> At last. We see that it is your "preference" and not some "moral
> >> imperative" or "deduced axiom of behaivor".
> >
> > My preference in this case derives from a definition of the group
> > which the mailing list serves, said group being exclusive of trolls,
> > by definition.
> >
> > It is not merely a product of my own desires.
>
> What else could a "preference" be?

An immune response.

> >> Yes, this is my preference.
> >
> > However, this is at odds to the groups goals, which is participation
> > in the project.
>
> I'm not so sure. If someone who contributes to the project can't
> ignore a simple troll, are they mature enough to take the inevitable
> criticism of their work, however constructive?

Why don't we see, by getting rid of the trolls, and loowing them
to try, instead of assuming things about them from fact not in
evidence?

The worst case failure scenario is that they contribute no more
than the trolls contribute, which is a net zero value proposition.

> > What brings communities together in the first place?
> > How does seeing trolls as a bad thing ignore this?
>
> I don't think you are ready for this discussion.

Whether I am "ready" for it or not, here it is.

> >> This entire conversation is analogous to the following short skit:
> >>
> >> Dave: <points> Look at that shooting star
> >
> > Terry: We need an asteroid defense system
>
> Dave: For such small asteroids? They aren't worth thinking about,
> except as a thing of beauty.

Terry: No.  The decision of the system will be based on whether
the astroids will impact the surface, not whether or not they
will merely impact the atmosphere.

-- Terry