Date:      Sat, 04 Oct 2014 10:03:48 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>, Steven Hartland <smh@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Release Engineering Team <re@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads-up: Possible regression between 10.0-RELEASE and 10.1-BETA1 with '/ on ZFS' setup

--nextPart5290465.5yLRQROi4a

On Saturday, October 04, 2014 01:01:37 PM Glen Barber wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 04, 2014 at 07:00:53PM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
lang=20
see UPDATING:
> > >=20
> > > Indeed, it is readonly.  I'm building kernel on the test VM, but =
may
> > > have to get the kernel built somewhere else from a non-ZFS VM, be=
cause
> > > the i386 VM with ZFS is unusable.
> > >=20
> > > I'm not familiar with these parts of the kernel internals.  What =
is the
> > > harm in making KSTACK_PAGES=3D4 the default in i386 GENERIC ?
> >=20
> > KVA on i386 is limited, and increase of the stack pages means that
> > there is (significantly) less usermode threads can be created befor=
> > kernel gets out of KVA.  Not to mention larger consumption of memor=
y,
> > and need to find larger contig KVA region on the thread creation.
> >=20
> > The cost of increasing stack size is significant, this is why the s=
tack
> > is kept so small by all operating systems.
>=20
> Thank you for the explanation.
>=20
> If we cannot increase KSTACK_PAGES by default, do we have any
> alternative solution outside of suggesting to avoid using ZFS on i386=

> with more than one disk?

When zfs creates its kthreads it can specify how much stack it needs.  =
For=20
i386 it could ask for more for the zfs threads.  Its not a good option =
but its=20
better than more stack for everything when it's already easy to run out=
=20
without zfs.

=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246