Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 21:48:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Lance <lancez@accessld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Lance wrote:

> Hi, there:
>
> My freebsd PC is connected to our intranet. When I root the system and
> login as root, I execute the command 'ifconfig ed1' to check its IP
> address and didn't find it. So I execute something like 'ifconfig ed1
> 179.208.33.1' to assign it an IP address. Now I am able to ping other
> machines from this PC and I can ping it from other machines too.
> However, when I shut it down and reboot the machine, its IP address is
> lost.

Modify /etc/sysconfig.  Look for the network_interfaces section, and
either add or modify the line to read:

network_interfaces="lo0 ed1"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 179.208.33.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Replace with your proper netmask.

If you don't have a localhost entry, you can omit it and remove the lo0
from the network_interfaces line.