Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 16:18:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@heinz.jollem.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/27079: Improvements for javavmwrapper?

>Number:         27079
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Improvements for javavmwrapper?
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD heinz.jollem.com 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #3: Mon Apr 30 08:56:44 CEST 2001 root@heinz.jollem.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/HEINZ i386

As I expressed before, I really like the concept of javavmwrapper, but I'm still struggling to make effective use of it. When I install a JDK from the ports, the javavmwrapper port is installed as well. This allows me to use multiple Java VMs and to switch between them. The 'current' Java runtime can be called using 'javavm'. Problem is that most programs that use Java expect the command 'java' to point to the Java runtime, 'javac' to the Java compiler and 'javadoc' to the Javadoc documentation generation tool (to name a few). And they also expect the JAVA_HOME environment variable to have a sensible value. The javavmwrapper system still doesn't provide this level of transparency.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install a JDK. Run 'javac' or 'javadoc' or 'javah' after that.
>Fix:
My suggestion: Make sure that none of the JDKs install a 'java', 'javah', 'javadoc' (etc) executable in /usr/local/bin/ but make javavmwrapper install these in /usr/local/bin/. They may all be symlinks to the same shell script. Now make sure these scripts work as expected, similar to the current 'javavm' shell script, written by Maxim Sobolev.
If this idea is appreciated, *and* if Maxim would like me to, then I could have a look at this and try to come up with a first attempt to implement this approach.