Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:37:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, justin@apple.com, alc@cs.rice.edu, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: arp errors on machines with two interfaces

> - Because getting the advantage of this higher bandwidth requires special
> support (e.g. Fast Etherchannel or other forms of load balancing/bundling)
> that FreeBSD doesn't currently have in the standard configuration. It
> would require considerably more than just removing one error message to
> support this properly.

What you're suggesting requires the following:
     1) Support in the switch for load-balancing incoming packets to the
        multiple interfaces on the host (each having the same IP address).
     2) OS support for allowing same IP address to be present on multiple
        interfaces.

Why go for the above costly solution when the same effect can simply be
achieved by connecting multiple interfaces with different IP addresses with the
vanilla OS ? Also as Julian remarked, many high-end servers already use the
configuration that I'm using. I'm not aware of any specs that conflict with
this configuration either.

- Mohit