Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 19:49:34 +-1100
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@shoal.net.au>
To:        "'Questions'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problem with com1 & com2

G'day everyone.

I'm having difficulty with my com ports, when I use ppp it thinks they are both the same port. Whether I set dev /dev/cuaa0 or /dev/cuaa1 it always uses com1. I've booted from a dos diskette and used checkit to verify that both ports work and done loopback tests for both of them under dos as well. Tomorrow I'm gonna try another motherboard just in case, so far I've tried about 4 controller cards (of various unidentified types - but they were working under dos before I acquired them).
I've tried booting from the install disk just incase I've managed to screw up my kernel but it does the same thing from the ppp dialer on the boot disk.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any clues.

BTW: i don't mind being told to rtfm, at least that tells me that i've missed something and tells me where to look, especially if you tell me which part of TFM. :-)

Thanks in advance
andrew perry
andrew@shoal.net.au