Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 23:39:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Stephen Waits <swaits@pr.erau.edu>
To:        Hovemeyer_D@mediasoft.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail questions

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, David Hovemeyer wrote:

> I looked at the sendmail FAQ, which mentions the "user database"
> feature of sendmail to allow rewriting of From: headers.  Is
> this feature enabled in FreeBSD's sendmail?  (I am using 2.1.0R.)
> I tried the canned example in the FAQ, and it seems to have no effect.

2.1 ships with 8.6.12.  At any rate you should upgrade your sendmail to
the latest version (ftp.berkeley.edu:/ucb/sendmail???).  I think this
week's release is 8.7.6 (ho ho ho)..

> Assuming that I can use the user database, will it do what I want,
> maybe in conjunction with the "DMsome.domain" masquerading feature?

The user database will probably do what you want, in conjunction with the
masquerading feature.  You should definitely get the ORA Sendmail book.
It is 800 pages packed with info and makes a WONDERFUL reference for all
thos cryptic Config codes.  The latest release include a bunch of m4
macros for "easing" the configuration process, but the book is still
required material.

--Steve (http://pr.erau.edu/~swaits)