Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:25:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Jeffrey Wheat <jeff@tad.cetlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrix 6x86 and X11 rebooting

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:

> > Which FIC motherboard are you using?
> >
> > Something must be flaky with your setup because well sell the FIC
> > motherboard with the Cyrix 6x86 P150+ and they run FreeBSD flawlessly.
> >
> > If you have a FIC PA-2002 motherboard, the manual mentions a few CMOS
> > settings you need to change (I think the Adaptec 2940 requires a special
> > CMOS setting).
>
> Howard,
> 	Thanks for your reply. I have the PA-2002 motherboard. I have gone
> through the manual and cannot find anything specific regarding bios changes.
> Could I ask for your settings? Also, what version of FreeBSD are you running
> on your machines? In kernel building test, my Pentium 100 machine finished
> building the same kernel 2 minutes before the 6x86. Both machines are identical
> in configuration.

Okay.  I guess you have an old manual...  Page 4-17 under Local Memory
Detect Point.  If you are using the Adaptec PCI SCSI Card AHA-2940/45,
please set at 'Medium' (for the Local Memory Detect Point).  That should
do the trick.  If not, then disable the PCI Byte Merge.  If that still
does not solve the problem, then flash your bios to the latest one and
try again.

----

 -------------------------------> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com/shopping