Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 02:22:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: After upgrade: panic with ad0 device

Hi,

Sounds like he's got the same chipset as I do.  Same symptoms, see:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D40003

It took me a while but I got a trace with Julian and DES's help, it's
attached to the pr now.  In one of the past threads on this, there's this
response:

-----
(kgdb) p adp
$2 =3D (struct ad_softc *) 0x68c040
(kgdb) p atadev
$3 =3D (struct ata_device *) 0xc075b650
(kgdb) p *adp
Cannot access memory at address 0x68c040.
(kgdb) p *atadev
$4 =3D {channel =3D 0xc075b600, unit =3D 16, name =3D 0xc04503b0 "ad1", par=
am =3D 0x0,
 driver =3D 0x0, flags =3D 0, mode =3D 0, cmd =3D 0, result =3D 0x0}

ad_attach() is trying to dereference atadev->param, which is NULL.
-----

I'm still set up with remote gdb ready to go if you need any other info.

I also used to get the "falling back to PIO" delays/resets, regardless of
whether I turn off dma in loader.conf.

Thanks,

Charles

--