Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 13:14:11 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Bill Fumerola wrote:

| On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 06:59:14AM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
|
| > Perhaps this labelling can be in the form of information on the
| > FreeBSD.ORG web site that lists distributions that merit the
| > "official" label.
|
| so this list would be controlled by those who can make changes
| to the FreeBSD web site, right?
|
| well, then lets start the list up:
|
| 	$1,000 - in the list
| 	$2,000 - I'll bold your entry
| 	$2,000 - I'll put your entry at the top
|
| ... or maybe we should remind ourselves that the only thing
| official about FreeBSD is the code. Let the CD vendors figure
| out ways to attract customers from each other, lets worry more
| about ways to attract 'customers' from other operating systems.

I think you may have missed my point -- what I'm concerned about
here is providing a guide to people who want to obtain something
that they can count on as being a "genuine" FreeBSD Release.  We
can't rely on the claims of vendors, but we could possibly rely
on some statement on the web site that indicated that vendor X's
FreeBSD-4.4-Release CDs or DVDs did contain the same stuff that
we would get if we were foolish enough to attempt to download it
from FreeBSD.ORG.

I, for one, would welcome something like that.  I've been a more
or less satisfied subscriber to the Walnut Creek offering since
the 2.2.x days and will be looking for something to replace that.