Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 10:25:12 -0500
From:      "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@scds.com>
To:        jbarbee@singular.com (John Barbee)
Cc:        "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@scds.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAT between two ethernet devices

> On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Justin M. Seger wrote:
>
> > Hello.  I was wondering how to setup the following...
> >
> > This will be on an Alpha running FreeBSD 3.0 stable
> > Network card A has a static IP that is on the Internet
> > Network card B has a private IP (10.0.0.1)
> >
> > I'd like to do NAT for all hosts on the 10.X network so that they will
> > work on the Internet. I've currently seen this functionality with 'ppp
> > -alias'.
> >
> the other way to do it would be with natd/ipfw.  although, some people
> feel that is overkill.  how many machines are on the lan side?

I think that's what I'm looking for.  There are about 20 machines on the LAN
side.

de0 is the card with the real IP and de1 is 10.0.0.1.

Also there are some other systems in the 172.16.X.X range attached to de0.
I do not want these to be translated, just the IP's attached to de1.

rc.conf appears to support various firewall and natd configurations, but
nothing quite like this.

Please let me know how to do this.

Thanks a lot,
-Justin Seger-