Date:      Wed, 13 May 2009 13:29:24 -0400
From:      Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        <jerrymc@msu.edu>, <korikov.zk@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

> Date: Wed=2C 13 May 2009 12:55:52 -0400
> From: jerrymc@msu.edu
> To: korikov.zk@gmail.com
> CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>=20
> On Wed=2C May 13=2C 2009 at 08:33:44PM +0530=2C Shakil Khan wrote:
>=20
> > Hi=2C
> >=20
> > Can anyone let me know how can I download FreeBSD kernel source code. I=
 am
> > on Linux and am not able to download using CVS. Can someone point me ex=
actly
> > and also if some links are available where I can download tar ball of
> > FreeBSD kernek source code.
>=20
> My suggestion would be to download the latest ISO and install it on
> a machine with full source.  Then you will have kernel and everything
> to make a FreeBSD including the correct compilers and libraries.
>=20
> Kernel is really dealt with differently in FreeBSD than in Linux.
> Although there is a kernel=2C it is intimately part of the whole
> operating system=2C not a kernel which someone grabs makes up a separate=
=20
> distribution with.  =20
>=20

to piggy-back a little more=2C FreeBSD is an entire Operating System wherea=
s Linux is just a Kernel used to run the GNU Operating system (The true nom=
enclature is GNU/Linux when refering to a Linux based OS).
the GNU project is currently working on writing their own Kernel named Hurd=
 based off the mach kernel.